Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Thoughts form Class Today



Ok, so I am not a history buff.  I have taken a few classes that have involved the history of the Middle East, so much of this is not new to me.  Even this specific view of the history of the area.  I admit that I usually forget much of what I have learned, if I do not use it every day!  But, what I do know, is that it is very difficult to find a comprehensive history of anything that takes in all points of view, and treats them fairly.  All historical authors and professors have their own points of view and their own agendas.  I realize that in this class we are aiming to dispel some false and “narrow” views of America’s history in the Middle East; but I do wish we could hear a little bit more from America’s point of view to compare with the Middle Eastern point of view.  It is thought that kids in schools always learn the “American” way of looking at history; but, though in some cases this is true, much of the time the history is taught through the professors point of view, many of whom are liberal.  Plus, history does not seem to be a major focus anymore in high school.  Many American kids enter college with knowing hardly anything about their own country, let alone anything of the histories of the countries around them.  This means that if students in college do not get to hear all sides of history, their views may be shaped by one or two professors’ opinions.  Let’s face it, American kids are not known for doing much research outside of what they learn in school!

                  I think it is a common misconception to think that most Americans hear the American viewpoint consistently praised here in the US, so that they are “brainwashed” with these ideas.  For me, it is just the opposite.  In fact, if I did not work hard to filter everything that I hear, I could be hating my own country right now.  I am constantly bombarded with anti-American sentiment coming from her own people.  Now I know that our country has made many mistakes and done many things wrong, but she still is nevertheless our country.  And we need to work hard to keep her our country.  This means looking into history with all points of view, including her point of view.  It is then up to the individual to decide which viewpoint, or combinations of viewpoints, he/she will accept.

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree that Americans do not always see their own country as supreme. I have also experienced having to work hard to convince myself that America is a good place to live and that we are on the right path as a people. We are such a young and ever changing country that it becomes difficult for us not to spend our lives hearing about what is wrong with America instead of looking at the opportunity that this country provides for us. You make a good point, we need to be open and appreciative of what America is and take into account that this country includes a great mix of cultures, all of which go into the bigger picture and all of which have a role in defining what America is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is easier to pick out someones flaws than to say what you love about them.. it seems many people have been doing that with our country. Elaborating on the bad things we've done and the mistakes we've made rather than the good things we've done and the accomplishments we made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought your point about college students knowing very little about their own country was intriguing because even in my middle school classes we were taught from text books that left out important facts... and I realized that you have to know more about the country to become a citizen than those born a citizen have to know to live here, that was always very odd to me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree completely about the importance of teaching history -- and that is not just something for history teachers, but in all subjects.

    ReplyDelete